Army 'Indoor' Championships 2016
2016 Army 'Indoor' Championships Report
The annual Army 'Indoor' Tennis Championships took place at the Aldershot Tennis Centre from 03 to 05 Feb 16. This year saw a record entry with 63 participants – up by 12 from the previous record in 2015. There were separate singles competitions for Mens, Ladies and Masters. The holders of the Mens and Ladies titles from 2015 were both deployed overseas so this year provided an opportunity for some new names on the trophies. The Mens final was contested by 2 Army 'A' Team players who produced an exceptionally high standard of tennis. LCpl Lawrence Tere (AMS) had to be at his best to eventually overcome Pte Reece Munnery (PARA) from the Parachute Regiment in a third set tie break. In the Ladies draw which included the Ladies Masters, Maj Fiona Welborn AMS beat Cpl Hilary Greig (AMS) to claim her first Army 'Indoor' title. The Mens Masters Event saw the return of a tennis legend in the shape of Lt Col (Ret'd) Nigel Watts who defeated Capt (Ret'd) Nigel Barker to add his name to yet another roll of honour within the world of Army tennis. The trophy for
Most Improved was awarded to Pte Tevin Gama (AMS). The 2016 results and scores are as follows:
- Mens Final: LCpl Lawrence Tere (AMS) beat Pte Reece Munnery (PARA): 5 – 7 & 6 – 3 & 6 - 6 (11 - 9: Championship Tiebreak)
- Ladies Final: Maj Fiona Welborn AMS beat Cpl Hilary Greig (AMS): 6 – 2 & 6 – 2
- Mens Seniors Final: Lt Col (Ret'd) Nigel Watts beat Capt (Ret'd) Nigel Barker: 6 – 1 & 6 – 0
- Most Improved: Pte Tevin Gama (AMS)
* Many thanks to all the players that took part and to those that helped to run this Event,
we hope to see you all next year and at another tennis Event soon.
* Many thanks to Graeme from Soldier Magazine for the #ActionPhotos
* Lastly Trinity Military Insurance, many thanks for your continued support.